Speakeasies in New York City

Welcome back to my blog, lovelies! Today I am so excited to talk a little about my trip to NYC this past weekend. For the longest time I wanted to go back to New York City. I visited for the first time my senior year of high school and missed it every day since. This year, as a birthday gift to myself, my boyfriend and I went up to the city to visit my sister and her boyfriend. If you followed along with the adventures on my snapchat, you know how on the go everything was! The weekend flew by so fast and I'm still shocked we were able to get the amount of things done that we were able to do!



Wait. While we were there we visited two speakeasies! I was so unbelievably happy to live out my Nancy Drew dream of walking into hidden rooms through secret entrances. The first speakeasy was located behind a hotdog shop. Yes, a hotdog shop! How inconspicuous is that?! We walked in and to the left of the room was a phone booth. When you stepped into the phone booth, you picked up the phone -- stated the name under your reservation -- and the wall of the phone booth opened up to a dark, intimate bar! We ordered specialty cocktails and munched on tater tots and gourmet hotdogs (guess that had to come into play at some point). My hotdog had hummus on it and if that is not the most NY thing to do, I don't know what is. This was by far my favorite speakeasy because of how relaxed the environment was. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was a Thursday night, but everything was so warm and cozy-- I felt like an early century writer during prohibition.



The second speakeasy was a lot more glitz and glamour. The facade of this one was a pawn shop. The lime green walls and odd nicknacks almost reminded me of a Halloween movie gone wrong, but towards the back of the shop a section of the wall opened to reveal the most elegant bar I've ever been too. A spiral staircase immediately to the right featured a dazzling, oversized chandelier and everything else in this speakeasy was just as ornate and beautiful! In the back on the first floor was an actual restaurant that you couldn't even walk into if you didn't have reservations (the bouncer promptly kicked us back to the correct side of the speakeasy as soon as we stepped foot over the line). Speaking of reservations-- you had to have a reservation to sit anywhere in the building. Needless to say, my two year old Keds and I felt vastly out of place. Even so, I'm so excited to go back one day a little more dressed up this time.












Can we take a second to talk about this outfit? The nude heals and black dress keep things formal and elegant, while the leather jacket brings both of these aspects back down to earth. Not too dressy, not too informal. Perfect for New York City!


We had so many more adventures this past weekend and I can't wait to share them all with you! Subscribe to be the first to see more posts about brunch, Matilda and my 15 minutes of fame and don't forget to follow my social medias for all things Rachel Lynn. Until next time! 




xoxo,



Instagram / Twitter / Facebook / Snapchat: rgolden75 / Bloglovin' / Pinterest

13 comments:

  1. Speakeasies are so fun! I will have to check these out next time I am in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should the next time you're in NYC! They're a fun, date night activity :) Or just going out in general and exploring the city!

      Delete
  2. Love the look, great photos xoxo


    www.theninebyivana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, so fun! They both sound so cool!

    XO
    Lee Anne
    www.lifebylee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were seriously so much fun! Such a unique, hidden experience in the city

      Delete
  4. Dying to get back to NYC and so adding speakeasies onto my list of things to do next trip! PS- love your outfit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely put this on your list of things to do! You wont be disappointed. & thank you :) It was one of my favorite outfits I wore on the trip

      Delete
  5. What a marvelous time I'm NYC! You look adorable...l need that leather jacket. This outfit is definitely right in the pocket! Just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica. :) It was such a warm, stylish jacket! I love how unique the color and cut is

      Delete